Frequently Asked Questions

South Central accepts all types of insurance. However, it depends on your individual policy whether your insurance will cover the services offered by South Central. We will be glad to contact your insurance company for you regarding your coverage.

Fees: South Central Alabama Mental Health Center is a public, non-profit corporation. The Center receives some public funding through the Alabama Department of Mental Health and local governments of Butler, Coffee, Covington, and Crenshaw Counties, but that funding provides only a part of the financial support needed to operate the Center. The balance must come from the individuals who receive services. Fees for services are assessed on an “ability to pay” basis. No consumer will be denied services based upon their inability to pay.

Payment: Payment for services is expected at time of service unless other arrangements have been made.

Discounted Fees: All persons regardless of insurance, Medicaid, Medicare or third party insurance are eligible for a discount based on annual income, family size and will receive a determination of the self-pay fee at the time of the initial visit. For individuals with insurance, deductibles and co-insurance are not subject to your discounted rate. You will be billed at the discounted rate for non-covered services or partially paid claims. A minimum fee of $25 is charged for the initial visit. The Discounted Fee Scale is reviewed annually.

South Central has an Access to Care hotline that may be called 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: 877-530-0002

Group home space is limited, but you can enroll your family member in South Central's services at our outpatient offices. This is the first step to mental illness group home placement. If the consumer is diagnostically qualified for a mental illness group home and they wish to live there, a referral will be made to that group home. If a bed is available, the consumer will be admitted, otherwise the consumer will be placed on a waiting list on a first come first serve basis. A primary diagnosis of a severe mental illness is required to go into a mental illness group home. These include schizophrenia, major depression, and bi-polar disorder, along with some others. The person cannot have a primary diagnosis of intellectually disabled, substance abuse, or brain damage and be admitted to a mental illness group home.

Before a consumer can be placed in one of our substance abuse treatment programs, a substance abuse assessment must be done. To schedule an assessment please call our SA-OP secretary : 334-222-2523.

Yes, South Central offers Crisis Stabilization (First Step). First Step is a crisis residential short-term treatment program. It is used primarily for stabilization for individuals who meet the criteria for substance dependence. The length of time a consumer stays in the residential program is based entirely upon his therapeutic needs but it cannot exceed 28 days. The program offers services to consumers in a setting that provides extensive and intensive therapy and educational services as well as food and shelter.

In addition to our Crisis Stabilization treatment program, South Central offers a Substance Abuse Outpatient Program (SA-OP). SA-OP operates under the belief that addiction is a disease and is best treated with a 12-step recovery approach with emphasis on family involvement. The SA-OP treatment program is divided into a morning segment and an evening segment. The morning segment is scheduled on specific mornings from 9:00 am until 12:00 pm, meeting two or three days per week. The evening segment is scheduled on designated evenings from 6:00-9:00 pm, meeting two or three nights per week.

Yes, South Central provides an array of services for children who have mental illnesses and for those children who experience difficulty in coping with life events. Any time a child's problems interfere with their ability to function reasonably within home, school or social settings, assistance through counseling or other mental health services may be needed and are available.

If you have any questions regarding children's services that are needed and/or provided, please call Candace Penn at 334-488-0153.

For mistreatment or abuse of a child, please contact your local Department of Human Resources office.

Eligibility criteria is based on the following services:

  • Crisis Stabilization (First Step) treatment program - must be at least 19 years of age.
  • Substance Abuse Outpatient Program (SA-OP) - must be at least 19 years of age.
  • Crisis Residential Home - must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Children Services - must be at least 4 years of age.

Eligibility is determined by an assessment of the individual. The person must have an IQ test result of below 70; the individual must demonstrate significant or substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following major life activities that occur prior to the age of 18:

  • Self-care
  • Receptive and expressive language
  • Learning
  • Self-direction
  • Mobility
  • Capacity for independent living

If you or someone you know is eligible please contact the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services at 800-361-4491.